10 of the Most Wheelchair Accessible Beaches in the World

Sirens Resort
Sirens Resort

Many locations throughout the world offer beaches that are wheelchair friendly, but it can often be difficult to find them. Some offer access through boardwalks or ramps and some even offer specially designed beach wheelchairs that you can rent. Following is a list of the top accessible beaches around the globe. most wheelchair accessible beaches in the world

California, USA

Located on the west coast of the United States, California boasts one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. Many people are familiar with hot spots such as Santa Monica and Malibu. Those offer boardwalks and ramps, but are crowded much of the time due to their popularity as a travel destination. Another thing that Santa Monica offers is a very eclectic mix of people. I’ve even had Cheetos thrown at me by a homeless man on the Santa Monica Pier before. Other beaches such as Rehab Point in Oxnard, feature a paved path that is approximately 900 feet long. The path winds around sand dunes offering great views of the ocean along the way, and you shouldn’t have a lap full of Cheetos afterwards either.

most wheelchair accessible beaches in the world

Rehab Point

Virginia, USA

Located on the other side of the country, the east coast state of Virginia boasts some of the most picturesque beaches to be seen. Virginia Beach, in particular is quite popular as a tourist destination. Boardwalks span much of the terrain, making travel easy and convenient. There are a few levels on the parking deck that offer direct access to the boardwalk so be sure to look for those when you go. Several Virginia beaches also offer beach wheelchair rentals, but be sure to call ahead to reserve them. Virginia Beach may still offer free use of beach wheelchairs that were used in their pilot program a few years ago. They only have two though so make sure to reserve them in advance.

Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach

A-One Pattaya Beach Resort, Thailand

One of the more popular tourist destinations for globetrotters (and my number one dream destination!), Pattaya offers luxury and quality at every turn. The entire property is connected by ramps that stretch out over the water connecting the massive property. All of the rooms are accessible and the beach offers ramp and boardwalk access. This is one of the few resorts in Thailand that has disabled travelers in mind.

Pattaya Beach

Pattaya Beach

Sirens Resort, Loutraki, Greece

Sirens offers one of the best wheelchair travel experiences in the world. This Mediterranean resort is equipped with wheelchair accessible rooms throughout as well as showers that offer roll in access. The property features nice wide walkways that make navigation easy. It also has the distinction of being one of the only resorts in the world that offers direct access to the ocean. A ramp extends into the sea. Yes, it really is as epic as it sounds! You can roll right into the ocean for a total immersion experience, but I recommend not doing so in a powered chair unless you want a bit of a shock.

most wheelchair accessible beaches in the world

Sirens Resort

Freedom Shores, Isla Aguada, Mexico

A war veteran who became quadriplegic after a diving accident created this resort property and the entire development was crafted with wheelchair users in mind, making it the place to go if you’re looking for a tropical Mexican getaway. Beach access at this four star resort is made possible via a large promenade designed specifically so disabled travelers could enjoy the beach. Many other perks such as roll-in showers exist and local taxis were made to transport wheelchair users back and forth on the property.

Freedom Shores

Freedom Shores

Hanauma Bay, Honolulu

This beach is located on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. They offer free use of its specially equipped beach wheelchairs for users with special needs. Wet or dry sand is easy to navigate with these special chairs. There are also many Oahu vacation rentals that are easily accessible and close to the beaches.

Hanauma Bay

Hanauma Bay

Cancun, Mexico

In addition to offering some of the most stunning scenery on the planet, Cancun is one of the most wheelchair accessible beach destinations. Plenty of boardwalks are located along the beach, and the resorts offer wide paths (enough space for you and the countless iguanas that are plentiful in Mexico) and private beach access as well. Umbrellas can even be rented for a small fee if you want to spend the day on the sand without roasting like a lobster.

Moon Palace Resort, Cancun

Moon Palace Resort, Cancun

Key Largo, FL, USA

The beach is accessible via ramps and wooden walkways. However, one of the strong appeals to this area for disabled travelers is the ability to go snorkeling and diving. A few local companies specialize in outfitting wheelchair users for underwater experiences. Boats feature lifts for easy transfer on and off, making this a great, safe way to explore the underwater sea life.

Key Largo

Key Largo

Manly Beach, Australia

A short ferry ride from the mainland will land you at Manly Beach. Very accessible with a plethora of cafes, restaurants, and shops, there is plenty to see and do beyond just spending time on the beach itself. Be sure to eat some pizza at Hugo’s if you visit. I ate it back in February and am still thinking about it… Delicious!! However, if lounging seaside is on the agenda then there is a nice walkway between Manly and Shelley Beach with beach wheelchairs available if you desire.

Manly Beach

Manly Beach

Tuscany, Italy

This great Italian region has several accessible beaches. Ramps and boardwalks are abound in this tourist Mecca with the top four most accessible beaches in Tuscany being Alcione Beach, Bagno Auroria, Fossa Maestra, and Stella del Mare. A few of them offer showers and changing rooms. Many of the resorts in Tuscany offer accessible rooms as well. Make sure you call ahead to check availability or you might get booked in a regular room even if you requested an accessible room online.

The world is becoming a lot friendlier for us now thanks to communities and countries that seek to include all types of people as a part of their tourism programs. The beaches and resort areas on this list are some of the best in the world, but they are by no means the only accessible beaches. The only way to find the others is for you to continue traveling. You never know what undiscovered gem you might find waiting for you in a small corner of the world.

• Susan says:

Great resource for so many!! My favorite would be the Sirens resort in Greece.

• Sarah says:

These look incredible! So happy you are exploring the world and living life. You are an inspiration and a gift! Playa del Carmen, Mexico has a wheel chair accessible beach too. An hour south of Cancun, it is beautiful there also.

• Cory Lee says:

Aww thank you so much Sarah! That really means a lot to me. And thanks for letting me know about Playa del Carmen. I’ll be sure to check it out. :)

• Amy Scott says:

My husband and I honeymooned in Playa del Carmen… one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in my life! We are huge fans! And, you can take a short ferry ride to Cozumel for some incredible snorkeling!

• Mime Orobona says:

so much more useful, for so many people, than the usual top ten tweet.

• Edwina says:

Hey Cory,
    These beaches look lovely! Barcelona, Spain also has ramps to all its beaches and Nova Icaria Beach (right in the middle of Barcelona beach) has a ramp down to the sea, accessible bath rooms and showers and amphibious / floating wheelchairs plus a team of volunteers to provide assistance if needed during the bathing season. I don’t know how good their facilities and services are but there are always wheelchair users around. It’s not as picturesque as Isla Aguada, but maybe not bad for a combined beach/city break!

• Hey Cory!

What a great resource!! I’m going to share this with my friends who will find this really useful. I love the look of the ramp that goes all the way into the water – what a wonderful idea!

Martina :-)

• garrett says:

Daytona Beach and New Smyrna beach in Florida are the best. You can drive on the beach for free with a disabled parking pass and most of the sand is packed hard enough to roll on.

• Cory Lee says:

Thanks for the suggestion! I visited Daytona Beach about 15 years ago and loved it. I remember driving our van on the sand, but I didn’t try my wheelchair. Definitely will have to soon though. :)

• Dennis Kopp says:

That is really a great collection of accessible beaches that you found there Cory! I have actually been to some of these beaches and it’s really great to know that they are making an effort to allow handicapped people to participate in the sandy fun as well. So no more good excuses to stay at home… 😉

• jalm says:

We found the beaches in Galveston, TX to be accessible. You can drive right on to the beach and the sand is packed hard enough that wheelchair wheels don’t sink in. The only time in 18 years of being together that my husband and I have been on the sand together. :)

• Larry Kern says:

I’m a fish out of water and am working my way towards SCUBA diving in 2015. Snorking is fun, but I have a need to go deep. Thanks for the great info Cory!

• Dennis Shakesby says:

I we was in Tennerife last year ,and we on our lst day and as we walked down the front ,we saw a part of the beach ,was kitted out for disabled people,as i say it was our last day and time was getting on so we could not find out any information,so if there is anyone out there who knows about this beach could you please let me know as i like tennerife i used to go before i was a parpligic any information will be very helpful thankyo

• Fantastic info, thanks for sharing…I am recently new to wheelchair life and went to Bermuda on a cruise, although Bermuda itself isn’t very wheelchair friendly , although they are getting better. Go see Larry at Daniels Head Beach, its a cheap cab ride away, he owns SurfSup and if you tell him in advance the red carpet will be waiting. He took me snorkeling, paddleboarding. He and his crew are FANTASTIC. I can’t tell you how great we were treated except to say we went back again the next day and he brought us back to the pier to catch the boat we were having so much fun…..

• Chicago has by far the most accessible beaches. Out on the lakefront, 16 of 31 Chicago beaches have an accessible beach walk. These “walkways over the sand” allow all patrons young or old, with or without a physical disability or mobility limitation, to stroll all the way to the water’s edge with ease. Nearly $500,000 in material and equipment. In most cases it includes accessible concessions, restrooms, parking and transportation.

Here si the list of beaches – http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/facilities/beach-list-/

• Cindy DeAngelis says:

This is wonderful

• Judy Giallongo says:

really enjoyed reading this, please do more

• Cory Lee says:

Hi Judy! Thanks for commenting. I’m really glad that you enjoyed this post. I have many more posts on this site. Please check them out & let me know what you think :)

• Bob says:

I was very interested in your Tuscany post. You mentioned certain hotels are accessible. Could you recommend a few? Thanks so much for your efforts.

• Here is Oarai universal beach in Japan.
    Please have a look.

This is our website for wheelchair users.

• Janet says:

Virginia Beach also offers a fully accessible beach..check it out!

• Anita Robinette says:

Finding your site is truly the best gift I would never have thought to dream of asking for. Thank You ★◇☆◆

• John Lee says:

Great list! Thanks Cory. Let me also recommend Avila Beach, CA where there are ramps down to the beach and a motorized beach wheelchair available to checkout for free by anyone who is otherwise unable to get around on the beach: http://www.ccatc.org/avila-beach-wheelchair/

• Biff Martinkoski says:

In Corpus Cristi, Tx. I used my pwr. chair on the beach as well as driving my van on sand.

• Chrstina says:

Isle of Palms, SC was very wheelchair friendly as well!

Not only do they have wood access ramps, they offer FREE beach wheelchairs and FREE parking at the city beach.

• Sunita Sancheti says:

Wow!!! all the places look amazing, I wish I can visit all these beaches & have similar facilities in India.

• Matthew says:

I love the idea of the ramp going into the sea. It’s awful but I never knew a wheelchair would struggle to get across the sand but that ramp is a great idea.

• Altaira Hatton says:

The Hague, Netherlands offers power beach chairs(very fun!) and cement over sand walkways to near the water.

• Great post! Really useful, thanks for putting this together! I also have to say, you do have a great sense of humor. I chuckled at the cheetos thing, not because it’s okay to throw cheetos at someone (because it isn’t!!) but at the way you wrote about the views without a lap full of cheetos. I grew up close to Santa Monica and I can totally see that happening -_-

• Caroline MacDonald says:

Great list, thanks Cory

Dennis Shakesby – I’ve stayed in Tenerife a few times and found Los Christianos beach has great accessibility – boardwalks and large boarded areas with sun loungers reserved for wheelchair users, disabled showers and toilets close by, and best of all the local lifeguards have adapted beach buggies which take you out into the sea for a swim – one of the few places in the world where I have been able to get into the sea. All of this is offered free of charge by well trained and enthusiastic professionals. I love it so much I’m going back for my fourth visit this year.

• Nicole says:

We recently went to pensacola, and while my brother can walk he was born with bilateral clubfoot and walking through sand is very difficult for him (he was actually in tears). A ramp to the shore would have been remarkable! It’s nice to know other beaches are better!

• Moi says:

went to Miami Beach this year and used a beach ELECTRIC wheelchair (they currently have 2) to cruise the entire beach (no fee) and they also have these heavy towel-like things on the sand at certain spots that I suppose would be called sand ramps so you can take your own wheelchair on to a bit of the sand.

• TJ Baker says:

Thanks for this great list! As the father of a daughter with many special needs including her wheels, who loves the beach and nature in general, it’s great to see such a list.
    We also have need to be sure there are good hospitals nearby wherever we go…but I suppose that not all do.

• Betty gammon says:

Thank you for so much wonderful, informative ideas. I live in Ford, VA, an hour south of Richmond. My family and I have always been a huge beach going family. Usually my parents, my family, and sometimes my brothers and their families rent a house for a week. Virginia Beach used to be the place everyone went but it started becoming dirty and over crowded. So we moved a little farther south and rented at OBX and Nags Head. That was fine but soon everyone got the same idea and it became overcrowded. When I went into my wheelchair in 2005, we all pretty much stopped going. Then, about four years ago my parents and my brother and his family went to Myrtle Beach, SC and just fell in love with the area (Surfside) and the rental agency personnel were excellent. The next year and every year since, I have been going, too. The house we rented the first two years had a private suite on the lowest level with a huge shower and sliding glass doors opening up right out to the pool. We also found out if you went to the police or fire department and requested a beach wheelchair, you could get one first come, first served FREE!! It was the best thing ever. I was able to go to the beach everyday with my family. Last year we rented a different house, same rental agency. This house had an elevator…….an elevator!!!! How wonderful!!! I look forward each year to going back to the beach because now I can participate like I used to. Thanks again for your information!!!!

• Disability should not stop someone from being who they are. But rather it must be overcome for a greater adventure.

• There’s one in Polis in Cyprus too. I’m a carer and took my disabled client to the C&A Apartments in Polis. It is a great place to stay and was built by the Neophitu family when their son Chris became disabled. The beach has a walkway all the way along, and there is a rolling chair into the sea. You are also able to go on a wheelchair friendly glass bottomed boat with a hoist, so that when the boat stops, EVERY guest can have a dip in the beautiful Mediterranean. Highly recommended.

• David Collins says:

One of the greatest things about your posts, Cory, is the ability to share information with others, and your blog has given me some very useful pointers for planning a recent trip for a wheelchair bound friend.

Another accessible beach to add now is the beach at New Brighton in Christchurch, where SmileDial NZ and SURF New Brighton has recently provided an adult size and a child size beach chair that can be booked for free (though donations are encouraged), a scheme sponsored by a local radio station, the local city council and a local school.

• Peggy Moore says:

Thank you for sharing such valuable information, Cory. Could you provide more specific information about Key Largo, Fla. – boats with access for wheelchair users?